Sunday, January 7, 2018

Why I Write with a Fountain Pen

Every morning I sit down to write my three morning pages, as suggested in The Artist's Way.  What I actually write is not important at all,  It's simply the very act of writing that clears my head, dumps all the trivia tumbling around in my brain, and clears the path for my creative juices to flow.  But I don't use just any pen.  I have a collection of fountain pens, gathered over the years, that sound their siren call and invite me to sit down, with the fire going, a cup of tea, and a kitty on my lap, to write my meandering thoughts.
Watching the pen flow across the page, the nib leaving a smooth trail of ink, is mesmerizing all in itself.
Yes, I've posted before about my personal and arguably old-fashioned predilection to fountain pens.  But if my posting of this encourages even one person to try it, I will be happy.
My favorite pens?  Not the most expensive nor the most gorgeous.  I'm interested in how the nib hits the page.  Pilot has an awesome selection of inexpensive fountain pens.  My current favorites are the Pilot Prera and Pilot Nimiki Retractable, both with a fine nib - they fit my hand beautifully, balance is excellent, and the nib is of their usual superb workmanship.
The advantages of using a fountain pen include:
- they are less disposable

- there is a plethora of ink colors from which to choose
- your handwriting will improve
- using less pressure to write heals issues with carpal tunnel
- they are more economical and environmentally friendly
- fountain pens are more personal and more expressive
- they offer a smoother writing experience
- they feel good in your hand
- and let's face it, they are pretty cool.
And I'm not alone in my preference.  Not surprisingly (and just like almost anything else in this day and age) there are many societies, groups, and associations dedicated to the use, collection and love of fountain pens.

I suppose that, for me, the reason that I use a fountain pen is because life is very, very busy and very, very short so I want it to be filled with very, very beautiful handwriting. 
                                            https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-people-use-fountain-pens 

More sensual - There's something about writing with a fountain pen that enters the realm of sensuality. Maybe it's the sight of the ink forming letters and words beneath the nib. Maybe it's the buttery smoothness or if you prefer a different feel, "bite" of pen against paper. Whichever pen, ink, and paper combination you prefer, writing with a fountain pen will be a noticeably sensual experience compared to writing with a ballpoint or rollerball or gel pen.
                      http://www.gailrhea.us/Pens/whyusefp.html 


With a pen, I feel fully immersed, me, my thoughts, and my thoughts communicated through colorful characters flowing from a pen.
           http://reverencedreading.com/why-i-use-a-fountain-pen/ 

The Pilot Prera: 
The Pilot Nimiki Retractable: 






No comments: