Sunday, December 27, 2015

A New Year and the Word: Thoughtfulness

New Year's Eve is quickly approaching, which may mean different things to different folks.  Whether it is a time to plan a big party with friends, go out on the town, or set aside some quiet reflection time, we all celebrate it in some manner.  Or we already have, by celebrating the Winter Solstice (a time of renewal and return of light) or will celebrate it at Naw Ruz at the vernal equinox (the new year for Baha'is and Iranians, meaning "new day" in Persian).  My husband and I tend to celebrate with our ritual dvd marathon.

My point is not the exact date we celebrate a new year, it's that we all do, in some manner, at least.  We celebrate, and then seem to need a time for reflection, to review what worked for us this past year, and what we'd like to change in the new. It's a time to questions our habits, and challenge ourselves to become better - in small ways or large.

The last two years I chose the words of Balance and Authentic.  To be honest, I could probably stick with those two words and work on them for the rest of my life!  However, in the spirit of trying to move forward, I'm choosing my word for 2016:

THOUGHTFULNESS

What I'm hoping to learn this next year is thoughtful spending habits, thoughtful use of resources, thoughtful relationships, thoughtful prayer habits, thoughtful eating habits. To be honest, I'm really not sure how this all will look, but I'm simply hoping to live thoughtfully.  Obviously this isn't a new idea, but I'm eager to embrace it - or attempt to do so.

Wishing you a thoughtful New Year!!






No comments: