Thursday, September 11, 2014

Day Star's Maiden Voyage

Today I'm teaching Day Star for the first time.  My class at Tidal Twinings 2014 are such brave souls!!  It is only right that this is its maiden voyage, though - I designed it while I was here last year. It isn't complicated, but it does take some time to work the "feather lattice".

Obviously, I'm still in love with bound weaves!!



The story behind the 9 pointed star??  (No worries, I never talk about religion in my classes.  But someone always asks about where my designs originate.)

The number 9 also comes up several times in Bahá'í history and teachings. On the significance of the number 9, Shoghi Effendi wrote:
"Concerning the number nine: the Bahá'ís reverence this for two reasons, first because it is considered by those who are interested in numbers as the sign of perfection. The second consideration, which is the more important one, is that it is the numerical value of the word "Bahá’"…

The most commonly used symbol connected to the number 9 is the nine-pointed star; ….. While the star is not a part of the teachings of the Bahá'í Faith, it is commonly used as an emblem representing "9", because of the association of number 9 with perfection, unity and Bahá’.


No comments: