Monday, May 5, 2014

Embrace Life by Writing a Will



We are meeting with the attorney today to finally write our wills.  It's an interesting time of reflection, to ponder ones demise, to think about what is really important, and to embrace, if even for these brief few days as we discuss what should or should not go into our wills, the reality that we are mortal.

It's not upsetting to me, as this just seems like a natural part of life.  Someone planned for our birth into the world, and we are responsible for preparing, as best we can, for our departure.  Personally, I just don't want to leave a mess for my kids! And I'm certainly not interested in controlling anything from the grave.

But this fits nicely into my desire to simplify my life and belongings.  I'm giving things away NOW, so my family won't have to wonder what to do with it all later.

Does it sound funny to embrace life by writing a will?  Probably.

O SON OF THE SUPREME!
I have made death a messenger of joy to thee. Wherefore dost thou grieve? I made the light to shed on thee its splendor. Why dost thou veil thyself therefrom?

(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words)

No comments: