Saturday, March 29, 2014

Feeding the Hummers

All winter I carefully avoided feeding the hummingbirds here on the island, realizing that I didn't want to make them dependent on a source of food that would be sporadic and inconsistent with all of my traveling. 

But my travels are done for awhile, and winter is nearing its end. I made a fresh batch of nectar, hung it out, and it wasn't  long at all before my favorite visitors graced me with their presence. 

How sweet it is - for all of us!


Homemade Hummingbird Food

hummersketch


1 part sugar/4 parts water

Boil the water first, then measure and add sugar, at the rate of 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water.

Let cool and store excess in refrigerator until ready to use.

Do not add food coloring, honey (which ferments), or artificial sweetener, which has no nutritional value.


No comments: