Thursday, January 23, 2014

Artwork in Chimera Gallery

Today the fruits of my first goal as an artist on Lopez Island will be realized.  I will be setting up some of my artwork in Chimera Gallery. A simple statement that encompasses so much.

The entire progression:  from the first visit to the gallery, buying the house, finally moving to the island after a lifetime of visiting, applying for membership in Chimera (only available to island artists), going through the jurying process, being accepted as a member but on the waiting list, and finally being chosen as full member with a small area of my own in which to place my art -  is a dream fulfilled, a goal come true.

So I plan to enjoy every minute of today, appreciating the little moments that make up the whole experience. This is not the time to take anything for granted. I am relishing it all. In setting up my pieces comes the realization (the perfect word, which means both consciousness and comprehension as well as achievement) that I am truly an artist on Lopez, and proud to be included in the gallery.

And yes, the thought has not escaped me of the irony that one definition of the word chimera means
a thing that is hoped or wished for but in fact is illusory or impossible to achieve.

So new goals need to be set and plans to achieve them developed.  But not just yet.  Today is for being in the moment, savoring - and perhaps even celebrating with a cup of peppermint mocha from Caffe La Boheme next door!



Showplace for Lopez artists and artisans, providing a central location in Lopez Village for the display and sale of their quality fine art and crafts. 











No comments: