Sunday, June 9, 2013

Slower & Simpler - Trading Up

There are some posts that simply (pun intended) astound me.  As I read this, I realized that this is exactly what I am trying to do with my lifestyle, even if I hadn't put it into words.  Now I have the words....



Posted: 07 Jun 2013 10:25 AM PDT

The more I think about the Be More with Less philosophy and the minimalist mindset, I realize that it really isn’t about owning less. Instead it is the willingness to consider that in order to live your very best life, you have to make a trade.

Your best life is not a result of having it all or trying to have it all, but including and appreciating what means most to you. That almost always means giving up all of the things that mean little or nothing. It means making big and small trades daily and over time.

Some of the trades I’ve made to live my best life:


§ I traded meat and milk for a less inflammatory, vegetarian diet that has resulted in better health.

§ I traded expensive vacations, new cars, jewelry and other luxuries to pay off debt.

§ I traded a stressful, reliable job for work I love that comes with more uncertainty, which has led to more joy and creativity in my work.

§ I traded most of my clothing for a tiny wardrobe that allows me get ready with ease and spend less.

§ I traded money for time, stuff for people and stress and drama for love and health. 

§ I traded the fear of uncertainty for getting started anyway.

§ I traded dwelling in the past for celebrating the right now.

None of these trades happened overnight. Some took years. Trades aren’t always black and white either, but sometimes less and more. For instance, I will trade less needing for more giving and less planning for more openness to new adventures.

I asked you on Twitter and Facebook about what you will trade …

§ I will trade autopilot for mindfulness.

§ I will trade having for doing.

§ I will trade buying for reusing.

§ I will trade food for weight loss.

§ I will trade shopping for knitting and stressing for confidence.

§ I will trade working more hours to acquire things for more time with my precious children.

§ I’ll trade frustration for confidence and clutter for freedom.

§ I will trade stress for health.

§ I will trade an under-paid part time job for a better family-life balance.

§ I will trade clutter for simplicity, freedom and peace.

§ We will trade luxury for necessity to live our best lives – and help other people live theirs!

§ I will trade expectations for peace to live my best life.

Some will have you believe that you deserve everything and success will come when you own it all, balance it all, or even give it all away. Instead, what you really deserve is time and space to fully consider and understand what is most important to you and what you want to include in your very best life.

Once you identify what those things are, you can begin to thoughtfully trade the meaningless, the distracting, the hurtful, and the mind numbing for focus and attention on the loving, the happiness, the beautiful and the most meaningful things.

Don’t be afraid to rethink and trade up.
 

No comments: