Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Beading Buddies

After my 3 month mobility-induced hiatus from my beading group, it was delightful to spend part of yesterday getting caught up with the group, being inspired by their beading projects, and learning about new kits and classes being offered.  My own contribution was showing the beaded vessels that I'm making in anticipation of the Artists Studio Tour on Lopez during the Labor Day Weekend - the tiny purses, pentagon pendant holders, and beaded chalices (to date).

And while I'm definitely not quite ready yet to commit the funds to go to some of the beading shows (such as Bead & Button or Beading by the Bay), I'm intrigued by some of the kits and patterns available.  There is still have quite the learning curve on all of this.  I'm familiar with the basketry world and its teachers; I'm only beginning to recognize well-known teachers and artists in the beading world.

What always attracts me most are the beaded geometric forms.  Think some of my reading on this next basketry trip will be The Beaded Sphere by Judy Walker.  Hopefully I will be all inspired on what to work on next as soon as I get home from teaching in Kentucky and return to the island for an extended time!

No comments: