Sunday, December 16, 2012

Slower and Simpler: Snowflakes

We finally have a forecast for some snow in it.  Ah, I so love the snow....not that we get very much here.  Hmmm, maybe that's why I love it?  I don't have to deal with it ALL winter long?

My perfect Sunday?  Softly falling snow, a fire in the fireplace, and a good book.  Today I have the latter two, and my fingers are crossed for the snow to at least make a brief appearance.

·         "Guinness Book of World Records" says the biggest snowflake was 8 inches by 15 inches.


http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/snowstore/snowstore.htm

Snowflake photos with a quotation from Thoreau: "How full of the creative genius is the air in which these are generated! I should hardly admire more if real stars fell and lodged on my coat.
Nature is full of genius, full of the divinity, so that not a snowflake escapes its fashioning hand."


Snowflake photos with a poem from Longfellow: Out of the bosom of the Air,
Out of the cloud-folds of her garment shaken,
Over the woodlands brown and bare,
Over the harvest-field forsaken,
Silent, and soft, and slow
Descends the snow.


No comments: