Saturday, December 8, 2012

Reading Lists and Book Clubs

My name is Sally and I am addicted to reading.  Have been since a child.  I started a book club 26 years ago and it is still going strong.  So I think I'm ready to find a book club to join on the island.  After all, with the rain coming down and winter setting in, what better than to curl up with a good book (or my Nook) in front of my new fireplace?

From what I can gather, there are quite a few book clubs here on Lopez.  I don't know if any are accepting new members, but my search will start today.  I will ask in the book store and the library.  And may even chat with some folks in the grocery store and craft store.  It's a friendly island - this shouldn't be too hard!

Goodreads posted its list of the best books, in all genres, of 2012.  If you enjoy reading, this list is a joy to have on hand, so I wanted to share it with you.  Instead of not knowing what to read, you'll have a list of too many books that are just begging to be read.  These books are chosen by the readers, not the critics, which makes them even more valuable in my eyes.  And I have discovered that it's perfect  if I want to try a new genre and have no idea of where to start.  There are certainly other lists on-line, such as bestsellers and for book clubs.  But to me, this is really the best, all inclusive list around.

http://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-books-2012?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2012-12&utm_content=choiceawards

So I'm sitiing here with a cup of tea, listening to the sound of the rain on the roof, snuggled in a quilt in front of the fire with my Nook.  Well, yes, I'm sorely missing Bailey, but that's to be expected.  And yes, I'll get to work weaving in a little bit.  But I'm in a really good place in my book....... and it IS a weekend....

No comments: