Saturday, November 3, 2012

Rock Paper Scissors



Doing a little exploring on the island, as I promised myself that I would do at least once on each trip up, I found myself in Paper Scissors on the Rock - a very eclectic, fun stationery/art supply/gift store.  So of course, that started me thinking about the game of rock paper scissors. And once again, I learned more than I ever wanted to know about the game on the internet. (And no, I didn't buy anything in the store, but may have to go back and get some very cool socks that they had - Solmate Mismatched Cotton Socks!)
Solmate Lovingly Mismatched Adult Cotton Socks, Poppy, Medium


Did you know that the current game, as we play it, originated in Japan?  And that before that, the game in some form was played in China centuries ago?  And that there are actually tournaments in it??  With algorithms and strategy plotting going on for months before.  (Really?) And even that Sotheby's and Christie's auction houses used it to determine who would represent a sale worth $20 million in  Impressionist paintings from a Japanese collector  (it was his suggestion to use this method to choose the auction house).

File:Rock paper scissors.jpg
Oh, come on - you didn't know that, either!!

No comments: