Saturday, October 20, 2012

Art and the Divine

For those days that I wake up with a new design or weaving technique in my head (and no, it is definitely not every morning), I am so very sure that the inspiration is coming from outside of me.  If not that, then where do they come from?  Yes, I am inspired (now) by the delights of the island and (always) the world around me, but to have the design almost fait accompli in my head is a bit unnerving. Add into that mix this pull, this attraction to weave that has become a tangible "need" for me.  If I don't weave or create something often enough, I feel out of sorts. Perhaps the draw or magnetism is about searching for a connection to the Divine?

That reminds me of some of the Bahai writings that talk about art (and work - but notice that art comes first!!) as an act of worship:
In this great dispensation, art (or a profession) is identical with an act of worship and this is a clear text of the Blessed Perfection.       (Compilations, Baha'i World Faith, p. 377) 
What an amazing confirmation for ANY of us that our work is actually worship:  to show respect by devotion.....by creating!
And although I'm not comfortable labeling myself as gifted, I can certainly relate to the spirit of this next writing, in trying to develop my work so as to reflect something way beyond myself:
Although now is only the very beginning of Bahá'í art, yet the friends who feel they are gifted in such matters should endeavour to develop and cultivate their gifts and through their works to reflect, however inadequately, the Divine Spirit which Bahá'u'lláh has breathed into the world.                (Compilations, The Compilation of Compilations vol II, p. 81)

Very high aspirations, I know.  And I certainly feel at times like I'm merely stumbling along this path.  All I can do is remain open to inspiration, use my talents to the best of my ability, and take one step at a time.  And be in awe that for some reason, occasionally, I have been chosen to be the channel for this inspiration.  I can only try to do it justice. 

 

No comments: